World's First Chat Operating System
FlockOS enables developers to build apps, bots and integrations on top of Flock, the #1 team messenger.
Apps are a first class citizen in Flock, and FlockOS allows your apps to blend seamlessly with the native Flock experience.
With FlockOS, your apps can
- Send Messages and Attachments to Flock groups and users. For example, the GitHub app sends configurable notifications to any Flock Group. The Todo app notifies your group whenever a task is completed.
- Configure a Bot to send directed messages to users like the Reminder bot, which sends a reminder message at a scheduled time.
- Add an Attachment Picker to the Attachment Picker bar. For example, the Poll app adds a button to the Attachment bar that allows a user to create and send opinion polls in Flock
- Add a Chat Tab Button to the Chat tab bar. The Todo app adds a button to the Chat tab bar, which pops up the sidebar widget and shows the various tasks of the team
- Add Widgets to Flock desktop and mobile clients. These include the modal widget, the sidebar widget and the attachment widget. Apps such as the Poll app, Todo app and others use these widgets to provide an amazing GUI for their apps
- Setup a Slash Command to receive commands from the user. For example, the
/videoslash command creates a video conference room and displays its URL in the group
- Setup a Launcher Button. For example, the ToDo app uses the App Launcher button to display a list of todos.
- Receive specific URLs to generate URL Previews. For example, the Google Drive app subscribes to all URLs starting with drive.google.com to provide a rich preview back.
To get started, you can go through our tutorials:
- Handling App Installs and Tokens – you will need to understand this before going through the other tutorials
- Messaging a Contact – explains how to send messages to contacts
- Sending Reminders – takes you through the process of creating a slash command, and sending an appropriate reminder via messages
- Creating an App explains how to setup an app in the developer dashboard and handle installs.
- Pick any of the features under Messaging or Integrations and add them to your app.
- You can test the app at anytime by installing it into your own Flock account.
- Finally, publish your app to allow others in your team to install it.
- If you want to publish it for every Flock user, please get in touch with us.
While building your app, you can go through our API reference here: