What is a Launcher button?
A Launcher button is another way your app can integrate into the Flock desktop and mobile clients and enable your users to Launch your app.
Launcher bar and Launcher buttons on desktop, as highlighted in red in the image below:
Apps tab and Launcher buttons on mobile:
The Launcher button of your app can be used to open a widget, open a browser or send an event to your event listener URL. For example,
- The Todo app uses the Launcher button to open a sidebar widget showing all the todo lists within that team
- The Github app uses it to open a modal widget allowing one to configure the app
What are the available actions for a Launcher button?
When a user presses the Launcher button, you can configure it to do one of the below:
- Launch a modal widget
- Launch a sidebar widget
- Launch a browser
- Send an event to the event listener URL
Alongwith launching the above widgets or browser, a client.pressButton event will also be passed as a parameter to the web app URL loaded in any of the above widgets or browser
How do I create a launcher button?
- Go through Creating an App to setup your app in the developer dashboard.
In the Advanced Info section, enable the app launcher.
Fill in the info below:
Field Mandatory Description Tooltip text Yes This will be shown against your app launcher button to the user Select action for app launcher Yes
Select an appropriate client action for the attachment picker.
- Go through app installation and install this app into your own Flock account
- Whenever a user presses the Launcher button, the event client.pressButton along with a validation token will be appended to the corresponding client action you selected and sent to your service
- Verify the event token and take the relevant action at your end